‘Historie of Ireland, Written in the Yeare 1571’ by Edmund Campion (Hibernia Press, 1809). The story first appears in printed form in 1136 when the Welsh cleric Geoffrey of Monmouth published Historia Regum Britanniae (The History of the Kings of Britain’), a largely fictitious book that was treated as utterly credible for many long centuries. It was Geoffrey who made the bold claims was that the mighty bluestones used to form the stone circle of Stonehenge in England came from a place known as the Giants’ Ring on “Mount Killaraus” in Ireland. In Arthurian lore, Uther Pendragon, the father of King Arthur, sailed for Ireland with fifteen thousand men to collect the rocks. When they proved unequal to the task, Merlin the magician used his sorcery to spirit them across the Irish Sea to the Salisbury Plains where they stand today. There is no other record of anywhere called Mount Killaraus but, curiously, John O’Donovan, an exceptionally bright nineteenth century Irish cartographer and scholar, recorded ‘certain stones on the plain of Kildare’ that were ‘in every respect similar to the others and erected in a similar manner’ However, as O’Donovan lamented, “There is no doubt…that such stones existed … either near the Castle of Kildare or that of Naas, but I fear they have been long since destroyed.”
 A series of earthworks on the Curragh, originally excavated in 1944, appear to have been important locations for burials and other deposits. One possible [?] multivallate ring-barrow revealed a long pit containing the extended skeleton of an adult; the pit was covered by a small mound and surrounded by a pair of concentric ditches with diameters of about 12m and 18m respectively, each possibly having an external bank. The burial has not yet [CHECK] been dated.
In a stone-henge at the Curragh, archaeologists found a pit containing the skeleton of a young woman buried alive.
 As a ceremonial site, it is certainly connected to the large number of ring-barrows, enclosures and linear earthworks on the Curragh. The bulk of the animal bones found on the site were pig and cattle (primarily young calves, slain in spring soon after their birth, or in autumn, aged about six months) although some horse, dog and sheep bones were also found. The embanked ring-ditches on the Curragh were party excavated. One, situated at the highest point in the area, was about 45m in overall diameter with an entrance on the west; a second, about 35m in overall diameter with entrances on the east and west, enclosed the unburnt burial of an adult female in a central pit which was believed to be an instance of burial alive; and the third, over 28m in diameter, had one entrance on the south west. None produced any dating evidence. See: John Waddell, The Prehistoric Archaeology of Ireland (Galway University Press, 1998), p. 392.
In 2008, an interpretative site was opened at Nicholastown, a townland just south of Kilcullen, featuring a bilingual information panel (Irish and English) and a small-scale reproduction of the mound, topped by a sculpture.
“The whole site is on private farmland and casual access is restricted due to difficulties with livestock; in general, the owners of the land have no problem with people having a stroll as long as they ask permission beforehand at the farmhouse just on the north-east side of the hill beside the N78 road.” (Wikipedia, 29 july 2016).
 “The most important notice is contained in the historical tale of the destruction of the mansion of Dá Derga. In this,Connairé Môr, who was killed A.D. 60, is represented as having gone to the games at the Curragh with four chariots. From this and other sources we may conclude, that chariot-races preceded horse-races in ancient Erinn, and that the Curragh has been used as a place of public amusement for the last 2,000 years.” Sister Mary Frances Clare, ‘An Illustrated History of Ireland’, Chapter XV, via http://www.libraryireland.com/HistoryIreland/Curragh-Kildare.php
 Other Bronze Age graves have been found in places such as Moone, Carbury Hill, Forenaughts Great, Blackhill, Brownstown, Granby West, Oldtown, Poopluck – and even under the front lawn of Castletown House http://www.excavations.ie/report/2011/Kildare/0022526/
 In 704AD Cellach Cualann, the last Uí Máil king of Leinster, routed an invasion by his northern neighbours, the Uí Néill of Clann Cholmáin at the Battle of Claenath, near Clane. Bodbchath mac Diarmata Déin, the Uí Néill leader, was killed while Fogartach mac Néill, commander of the Síl nÁedo Sláine, fled the field of battle. Fogartach later became king of Brega, a petty kingdom north of Dublin, and was briefly High King of Ireland before he too was slain in battle.
 In 719AD, Áed mac Cellaig, a son of Cellach Cualann, the last Uí Máil king of Leinster, was slain at the Battle of Finnabair (Fennor, Co. Kildare) in a fight among the Laigin. The death of his younger brother Crimthann mac Cellaig at the Battle of Belach Lice in 726AD (at “an immature age”, according to the Annals of Ulster), brought the Uí Máil dynasty to an end.
 The Battle of Allen was fought on 11 December 722 AD. The Leinstermen, commanded by King Murchad mac Brain Mut, fought off a large invasion by the northern and southern Uí Néill, commanded by Fergal mac Máele Dúin, the High King of Ireland since 710. Fergal fought alongside his son Aedh Allen, and Aedh Laighean, King of Uí Maine in Connacht, but it proved to be a disaster for the High King who was killed alongside numerous nobles of the Ui Neill. Such a famous victory did much to cement the Uí Dúnlainge branch of the Laigin, from which Murchad hailed, as a rapidly rising powerhouse. The battle was preserved in the 10th century saga Cath Almaine. The site is currently part-owned by Roadstone Dublin Ltd.; the hill has been extensive quarried since.
 In 738AD the Leinstermen suffered a major defeat at the Battle of Áth Senaig (Ballyshannon, Co. Kildare), also known as the Battle of Groans, when the high king Áed Allán, of the Cenél nEógain, destroyed the Uí Cheinnselaig and killed their king, Áed mac Colggen.
 The Uí Dúnchada were one of the three Uí Dúnlainge septs, which rotated the kingship of Leinster between 750 and 1050. The Uí Dúnchada descend from Dúnchad mac Murchado who succeeded as King of Leinster following the death of his father Murchad mac Brain Mut in 727AD. Later that year Dúnchad defeated and killed his Uí Cheinnselaig rival Laidcnén mac Con Mella, at the Battle of Maistiu or Mullaghmast. However, Dúnchad, was slain by his younger brother in 728 who duly claimed the throne for himself. Dúnchad’s son Cellach mac Dúnchada was King of Leinster from 760 until his death in 776.
In 590 AD, Brandub mac Echach, a future king of the Uí Cheinnselaig of Leinster, had his first taste of victory the Battle of Mag Ochtair [near ‘Cloncerry’, which is thought to be near Lyons?] He was later assassinated by his own kinsman and son-in-law.
 On 13 September 908, the Battle of Bellaghmoon [Bealach Mugna / Moone] was fought near Castledermot between an army led by Cormac mac Cuilennáin, the saintly king of Munster, against the allied forces of Flann Sinna, the venerable High King of Ireland, as well as the kings of Leinster and Connacht. King Cormac was hailed in the Annals as ‘a scholar in Irish and in Latin, the wholly pious and pure chief bishop, miraculous in chastity and in prayer’, and his works are said to have included the Sanas Cormaic (Cormac’s Glossary), and the now-lost Psalter of Cashel. The Annals of the Four Masters claim he was tutored by Snerdgus, Abbot of Díseart Díarmata (now Castledermot). Bellaghmoon was to prove his downfall. The Munster men were unwilling to fight, spooked by the ill-omen of Flaithbertach, Cormac’s sinister advisor and abbot of Inis Cathaig (Scattery Island), tumbling from his horse at the muster. It was a decisive victory for Flann and his allies. Cormac was among those who died, his neck broken after a fall from his horse. His head was subsequently presented to Flann Sinna but, according to the Fragmentary Annals, the High King was unimpressed. ‘“It was an evil deed,” he said, “to cut off the holy bishop’s head; I shall honour it, and not crush it.” Flann took the head in his hands, and kissed it, and he carried the consecrated head and the true martyr around him three times.’ Cormac was buried at Díseart Díarmata where his shrine was said to be the site of miracles. He appears in a stained glass window in St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, designed by Sarah Purser and painted by Alfred Ernest Child. As for Flaithbertach, he was taken to Kildare and held prisoner where he was subjected to much abuse for poisoning the mind of the saintly King Cormac by Muirenn ingen Suairt, the abbess of Kildare. That said, he somehow made it back to Cashel wheée he was installed as king of Munster in 914.
 Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. III (July 1899-1902), p. 124-125 @ https://archive.org/stream/journalcountyki01socigoog#page/n156/mode/2up/search/Cerball
 Afterwards Cerball was escorting a large number of prisoners to Kildare on ‘a spirited horse’. As they rode through the street called Srait in Chéime Cloiche [Street of the Stone Step], they passed the workshop of ‘a fuller’. Cerball’s horse shied and flung him on to his own lance, which his Norse gillie Ulfr was carrying behind him. The wound proved fatal and he died a year later, having spent most of the intervening period in Naas. He died on 19 September 909 and was buried in Cill Corban, or the Church of Corban, at Kill, as were eight previous Kings of Leinster before him. He apparently married Cormac’s widow (or possibly fiancée) Gormfalth but they were separated after he offered her “a gross insult”.
 On 30 December 999AD, the Leinstermen united with the Norse of Dublin to fight against Brian Boru, King of Munster, and Máel Sechnail. They met at Glenmama, a site to the east of Oughterard Hill adjoining Lyons Hill, between Castlewarden, Windmill Hill and Blackchurch, the ancient stronghold of the Kings of Leinster. [Check] The victory of the Munster-Meath army not only crushed the Leinster-Dublin alliance but also left the road to Dublin utterly free for Boru’s victorious legions to sweep in and capture the city on New Year’s Day 1000.
 The Uí Fáeláin, one of three septs of the Ui Dúnlainge, ruled over the Airthir Liphi, the eastern part of the Liffey plain, during the eight and ninth centuries. The sept was founded by Fáelán mac Murchado, a younger son of Murchad mac Brain Mut, King of Leinster, who defeated and killed his older brother Dúnchad at the Battle of Ailenn in 728AD, and so secured the throne of Leinster, as well as Dúnchad’s widow, who he promptly married. Fáelán’s son Ruaidrí mac Fáeláin, who died in 785AD, was also King of Leinster.
 Within a decade of King Donnchad’s death, the Uí Cheinnselaig of Ferns had resumed control of the kingdom of Leinster. Diarmait mac Maíl na mBó, the first of this new line, played host to Harold Godwinson’s exiled sons in the wake of the Norman victory at the battle of Hastings in 1066. King Diarmait’s great-grandson was the Dermot MacMurrough, King of Leinster, who “invited” the Anglo-Normans to conquer Ireland in 1169.
 Susan A. Johnston, Bernard Wailes, “Dun Ailinne: Excavations at an Irish Royal Site, 1968-1975” (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2011), p. 186 – https://books.google.ie/books?id=Y63oQqChBBAC&pg=PA186&dq=%22Maistiu%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP_dLO7pjOAhVrI8AKHZgMCkUQ6AEIRz
AI#v=onepage&q=%22Maistiu%22&f=false – this is an important source.